Physicians interested in the Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Fellowship Program may apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Qualifications for admission to the fellowship include:
- The successful completion of a three-year ACGME-accredited program in internal medicine
- U.S. Citizenship, valid residency, or J-1 visa. This program does not support H1-B visas
- Graduates of foreign medical schools must provide proof of having passed the FMGEMS exam, a copy of their FMGEM scores and a standard ECFMG Certificate
- All accepted candidate must obtain an Arizona postgraduate training permit
- Three letters of recommendation, including one from the internal medicine residency program director.
- USMLE or COMLEX scores
- ECFMG certificate (see "International Medical Graduates," below)
- Medical school transcripts
- Personal statement
International Medical Graduates
Graduates of foreign medical schools are welcome to apply to the fellowship provided they have passed the FMGEMS exam and have a standard ECFMG Certificate.
Fellows must either have U.S. Citizenship or a J-1 visa.
Timeline and Deadlines
The ERAS and National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) websites have information for fellowship application and match registration deadlines. It is generally recommended applicants begin gathering their application materials in January in order to be ready to apply by July. It is highly recommended you have taken “Step III” (pre-boards residency exam). ERAS begins transmitting applications to the fellowship programs in early to mid-July. It is highly recommended that your application be completed and submitted by this point. The application review process starts the last week of July thru the month of August. Interview offers go out shortly after the review process. Interviews occur over a 6-8 week period starting the last week of August through the last week of October (This may vary depending on the application deadlines for ERAS and NRMP.). Rank lists are due in mid-November and the match announcement is in early December.
Please note, you must apply through ERAS and register for participation in the match through the NRMP Fellowship Specialties Matching Service.