Drs. Kelly Wickstrom, Rilwan Balogun and Hasan Ali, physicians with the UA College of Medicine Internal Medicine Residency Program – Tucson Campus, present their research at the Clinical Vignettes Competition on May 10. Drs. Jawad Bilal, See Wei Low and Matthew Adams presented on May 17. All presentations were part of the Medicine Grand Rounds.
See recent memos of interest to University of Arizona Department of Medicine Faculty included in the daily UAHS Announcements email about research and grant funding, main campus construction updates, upcoming events, grand rounds and conferences. Check the bottom of this news item for links to archived video of recent lectures you may have missed. This includes the Clinical Vignettes Competition on May 10 and 17 as part of the Medicine Grand Rounds.
GRANTS & AWARDS
Call for Nominations - NIH Director's Early Independence Awards (DP5)
Internal submission deadline, June 16
2017 UAHS Career Development Award (CDAs)
Junior faculty research funding support of up to $75,000 per year for two years, plus additional benefits — deadline: July 14
American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant Funding Available
Four awards of $30,000 each — letter of intent due July 28
Meet Your Pharmacist, Wednesday, June 21
Petersen Clinics Team Rx patient outreach event — Topic: “HIV and Inflammation” (Click on image at right for the event's flyer.)
Pharmacology & Toxicology Seminar Announcement
Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at noon, presentation by Bruce Seligman, PhD, on use of the TempO-Seq gene expression profiling platform for in vitro, in vivo drug discovery, safety and single-cell analysis
Integrative Health Grand Rounds: Clinical Aromatherapy, Saturday, May 20, 4 p.m.
Linda Halcon, PhD, MPH, RN, on new developments and sustainability in clinical aromatherapy.
Rheumatology Grand Rounds: Friday, May 26, 9 a.m.
First-year rheumatology fellow Shubha Kollampare, MBBS, on “A Cell within a Cell”
Infectious Diseases Grand Rounds: Tuesday, June 6, 11 a.m.
Arizona Department of Health Services’ Hayley Yaglom, MS, MPH, on “Rickettsial Tick-borne Diseases in Arizona”
UA Cancer Center Grand Rounds, Friday, June 9, Noon, Kiewit Auditorium
Virginia G. Piper Cancer Center Medical Director Ron Korn, MD, PhD (right), on “Use of Novel Imaging Strategites for Oncology Clinical Trials”
Cancer Immunotherapy and Transplantation Conference - Thursday, May 25, 4 p.m.
Stanford’s Stephanie C. Casey, PhD, on “MYC Regulates the Anti-Tumor Immune Response”
SPS 2017 Telehealth Conference Announces Confirmed Speakers
See list of 25 telemedicine presenters from across nation for Oct. 2-3, 2017, event in Phoenix
Did You Miss It? Check the Video!
Here are links to archived video of a few recent events of interest to faculty and staff with the UA Department of Medicine:
- Rheumatology Grand Rounds, May 19: Michael Holers, MD, “Studies of At-Risk Populations Provide Insights into the Origins, Pathogenesis and Prevention of Rheumatoid Arthritis”
- UA Sarver Heart Center 30th Anniversary Lecture Series, May 17: Carol Gregorio, PhD, and Nancy Sweitzer, MD, PhD, on “Right Treatment, Right Person, Right Time: Progress in Precision Cardiovascular Care”
- Medicine Grand Rounds, May 17: Clinical Vignettes — (Pictured right) Jawad Bilal, MBBS, “Asymptomatic Coccidioidomycosis in Patients with Rheumatic Diseases: 8 Years of Experience,” See Wei Low, MBBS, “Endobronchial Valves Therapy for Advanced Emphysema Patients,” and Matthew Adams, DO, “Impact of the Vergene Multiplex PCR for Positive Blood Cultures and Gram Negative Bacteremia”
- Cardiology Grand Rounds, May 12: Khadijah Breathett, MD, “Racial and Gender Disparities in Access to Advanced Therapies for Heart Failure”
- UA College of Medicine – Tucson Convocation, May 11: “Class of 2017 Medical Student Graduation Ceremonies”
- Department of Medicine Research Seminar Series, May 11: Archita Desai, MD, “Can Patient Reported Outcomes Inform Healthcare Utilization,” and Bhaskar Banerjee, MD, “Optical and Engineering Solutions for Clinical Needs in Gastroenterology” (Click here [PDF] or on the image at right for a photo gallery from this event.)
- Medicine Grand Rounds, May 10: Clinical Vignettes — Kelly Wickstrom, DO, “The Fourth Biopsy is the Charm,” Rilwan Balogun, MD, “Chronic Diarrhea: A Potential Culprit,” Hasan Ali, MD, “Rapidly Progressing Pulmonary Disease”
For more UA Health Sciences lectures and events archived as video webcasts by the UAHS BioCommunications team, click here.