The UA Department of Medicine invests in its most important resource, its faculty members! In collaboration with the College of Medicine, our department offers a robust Faculty & Staff Development Program. This initiative includes a technology-driven mentoring program for all junior faculty in the Department of Medicine.
We recognize the importance of professional growth and outlining an individualized career plan for each faculty member. As such, detailed workshops delineating the Promotion & Tenure process are held to ensure a successful promotion pathway is maintained. Throughout the year, small groups attend meetings with department leadership (including “Coffee with Dr. Kraft” breakfasts with our department chair) to ensure an appropriate forum for ideas to flourish.
Taken together, these venues provide an exciting opportunity for faculty members to remain engaged and launch a successful academic career.
Goals of the Faculty Mentoring Program
To support and enhance the academic environment, our program is designed to:
• Assist with career development and management
• Assist with the acquisition of additional teaching and research skills
• Acclimate new faculty to the culture of the University of Arizona
• Develop and expand professional and collegial networks to enhance well-being and foster collaboration
• Develop approaches to a work/life balance
Mentor Match Software and Online Directory
Upon providing basic information about your interests and needs, faculty can access the Mentor Match website. Mentor Match allows mentees and mentors to view the following information:
- Photo of potential mentor/mentee
- Home division, department, and college
- Academic, research, administrative, and disciplinary interests
- Grant support
- Publication record
How Do I Get Started with Mentoring?
Review the Guiding Principle links on the left and connect with the Department of Medicine Education Office (email@example.com) for a free account.
In addition to college-sponsored seminars and workshops, we recommend a number of self-learning resources. The sites listed below offer modules that provide an overview of teaching methods consistent with expectations for all UA Department of Medicine faculty. Check back periodically for newly selected sites.
- The Ohio State University College of Medicine Faculty Development for Medical Educators (FD4ME)
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Office of the Vice Dean - Medical Education Grand Rounds
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Office of the Vice Dean - Academy of Master Educators Faculty Development Series
—Audio presentations with slides
- University of Michigan Medical School Teaching Resources
—most relevant are via COURSERA
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital Mentoring Toolkit & Curriculum
Educational development resources are also available nationally through the AAIM, ACGME and sub-specialty associations. Faculty should note participation in such conference development sessions on GME PIFs (Program Information Forms) and APEs (Annual Program Evaluations).
- AAIM 2016 Skills Development Conference: October 20-22, 2016, at Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center, National Harbor, Maryland—view agenda here [PDF].
Faculty Development & Mentoring Planning Committee
- Lu Martinez, PhD
- Ken Knox, MD
- Laura Meinke, MD