South Campus Internal Medicine resident scholarly activities include academic competitions, publications and oral presentations.
2015 American College of Physicians (ACP) Regional Conference
In November, 2015, our residents swept first place honors in the "medical jeopardy," oral arguments and research poster competitions at the Arizona Chapter meeting of the American College of Physicians (ACP).
- First Place - Doctor's Dilemma - Balaji Natarajan, MBBS; Senthil Anand, MD; and Muhammad Husnain, MBBS
- First Place - Oral Clinical Vignette - Jessica August, MD
- First Place - Research Poster, "A New Risk Factor to Consider in Patients with Severe Aortic Stenosis: Severe Pulmonary Hypertension Predicts Higher All-Cause Mortality." - Sridhar Reddy, MD
- 3rd Place - PGY1 Poster, "Pneumomediastinum After LMA Placement" - Rui Wen Pang, MD
2014 ACP Regional Conference
- 3rd Place - Oral Clinical Vignette - Rishi Bhargava, MD
- 3rd Place - Quality Improvement Poster - Sridhar Reddy, MD
- 3rd Place - Clinic Vignette - Gowri Radhakrishnan, MD
2013 ACP Regional Conference
- 1st Place - Intern Poster - Rishi Bhargava, MD
- 3rd Place - Intern Poster - Kareem Bannis, MD
- 1st Place - Quality Improvement Poster - Anjali Takyar, DO
- 2nd Place - Clinical Poster - Seth Assar, MD
- 1st Place - Oral Clinical Vignette - Natasha Sharda, MD
2012 ACP Regional Conference
- 2nd Place - PGY1 Poster - Qi Yu, DO
- 3rd Place - PGY1 Poster - Aaron Fernandes, MD
- 2nd Place - Clinical Poster - Anju Nair, MD
- 3rd Place - Oral Clinical Vignette - Divya Pati, MD
2011 ACP Regional Conference
The UA College of Medicine at South Campus was awarded first place in every poster category!
- 1st Place - Clinical Vignette - Dr. Lisa Graham
- 1st Place - Research Poster - Dr. Nduka-obi Ossai
- 1st Place - PGY 1 Poster - Dr. Varun Takyar
- 2nd Place - Medical Jeopardy - Drs. Takyar, Natt & Ossai
- 3rd Place - Oral Presenation - Dr. Billy Hour
2010 ACP Regional Conference
- 2nd Place - Oral Presentation, Dr. Al-Adsani
- 3rd Place - Poster Presentation, Dr. Poojary
2009 ACP Regional Conference
- 1st Place - Medical Jeopardy, Drs. Ossai, Doraiswamy & Nagaraja
Dr. Balaji Natarajan (Salahuddin T, Natarajan B, Playford MP, Joshi AA, Teague H, Masmoudi Y, Selwaness M, Chen MY, Bluemke DA, Mehta NN) published "Cholesterol efflux capacity in humans with psoriasis is inversely related to non-calcified burden of coronary atherosclerosis" in European Heart Journal, 2015 Jul 18. pii: ehv339 [Epub ahead of print].
Dr. Kareem Bannis ( Lakdawala, M., Sharda, N. Fain) published "Purple Urine Bag Syndrome: A Case review" in The Arizona Geriatrics Society an affiliate of The American Geriatrics Society, 2015: 20 (1): 9-11.
Dr. Jessica August (August J, Huang JJ) published "Image of the Week: Renal Infarction" in Southwest Journal of Pulmonary & Critical Care, 2015, 10(4): 195-196.
Dr. Muhammad Husnain (Suryanarayana P, Kollampare S, Riaz IB, Lee J, Husnain M, Luni FK, Movahed MR) published "Presence of anamalous coronary seen on angiogram is not associated with increased risk of significant coronary artery disease" in Int J Angiol 2014, 23(4): 243-6.
Dr. Muhammad Husnain (Riaz IB, Husnain M, Riaz H, Asawaeer M, Bilal J, Pandit A, Shetty R, Lee KS) published "Meta-analysis of revascularization versus medical therapy for atherosclerotic renal artery stenosis" in Am J Cardiol 2014, 114 (7): 1116-23.
Dr. Muhammad Husnain (Riaz IB, Husnain M, Ateeli H) published "Recurrent thrombosis in a patient with Lesch-Nyhan syndrome" in Am J Med 2014, 127(7): e11-2.
Dr. Sarah Patel (Patel S, Takyar V, Trowers E) published "Double double toil and trouble, an usual case of dysphagia" in Am J Gastroenterol 2014, 109:S25.
Dr. Muhammad Husnain (Riaz IB, Dhoble A, Mizyed A, Hsu CH, Husnain M, Lee JZ, Lotun K, Lee KS) published "Transcatheter patent foramen ovale closure versus medical therapy for cryptogenic stroke: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials" in BMC Cardiovasc Disord 2013, 13: 113.
Dr. Parinita Dherange (Dherange P, Patel S, Singh N, Suryanarayana P) presented "Dissecting the un-speakable: a rare cause of fatal aortic dissection" at Arizona Annual ACP Poster Presentation, 2014.
Dr. Rhonda Alkatib (Alkatib R, Patel S, Huang JJ, Chandiramani V) presented "How do you rash-ionalize that?" at Arizona Annual ACP Poster Presentation, 2014.
Dr. Sarah Patel presented "From bone to Heart: A case of MRSA osteomyelitis with hematogenous spread to the pericadium" at Arizona Annual ACP Poster Presentation, 2014.
Dr. Kareem Bannis presented "Elder Care a Novel Application-Based Medical Database" at the Annual April Conference for The Arizona Geriatric Society Annual Chapter Meeting, 2014.
Dr. Sridhar Reddy (Huang JJ, Singh N, Ainapurapu A) presented "Heart failure exacerbation re-admission rate prevention: A quality improvement project" at Arizona Annual ACP Poster Presentation, 2014.
Dr. Parinita Dherange (Patel S, Suryanarayana P) presented "Dissecting the upspeakable: a rare case of fatal aortic dissection" at Arizona Annual ACP Poster Presentation, 2014.
Dr. Kairou Tey (Low SW) presented "A case of abscesses due to Mycobacterium abscessus" at Arizona Annual ACP Poster Presentation, 2014.
Dr. Kareem Bannis presented "Helminthic therapy for treatment of auto-immune disorders" at Arizona Annual ACP Poster Presentation, 2014.
Dr. Rishi Bhargava presented "Revisiting the H's and T's: An Uncommon Cause of Cardiac Arrest" at Arizona Annual ACP Poster Presentation, 2013.
Dr. Randa Gorges presented "Brain on Fire" at Arizona Annual ACP Poster Presentation, 2013.