A dozen graduating residents from the University of Arizona Internal Medicine Residency Program – South Campus were recognized Saturday, June 4, at a special dinner at Tucson’s Skyline Country Club. Several awards were also presented honoring those residents who excelled over the past year.
This brings the number of graduating physicians from the program to nearly 60 since it was accredited by the American College of Graduate Medical Education in July 2007.
For a collage of photos from the evening, click here [PDF] or on image at left.
Among graduating residents (pictured at right) and where they’re headed next were the following:
- Kareem Bannis, MD – Geriatrics Fellowship, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Rishi Bhargava, MD – Cardiovascular Diseases Fellowship, UA Division of Cardiology/Sarver Heart Center, Tucson
- Prince Buzombo, MD – Hospitalist, Texas
- Parinita Dherange, MBBS – Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship (pre-match), Louisiana State University, Shreveport, La.
- Randa Gorges, MBChB – Primary Care, San Diego, Calif.
- Archana Nair, MBBS – Primary Care, Private Practice, Washington (State)
- Sarah Patel, MD – Sleep Medicine Fellowship, University of Washington, Seattle
- Sridhar Reddy, MD – Cardiovascular Diseases Fellowship, UA Division of Cardiology/Sarver Heart Center, Tucson
- Kevin Sun, MD – Critical Care Fellowship, Mount Sinai Beth Israel, New York
- John Sandoval, MD – Incoming Chief Resident, UA College of Medicine – South Campus
- Maria Tumanik, DO – Hospitalist, Oregon
And current Chief Resident Jennifer Huang-Tsang, DO, has also been accepted into the Cardiovascular Diseases Fellowship Program in the UA Division of Cardiology/Sarver Heart Center, Tucson.
The following awards were among those presented during the evening graduation ceremony:
- Jessica August, MD (PGY2 - at right) — Award for Best Overall Resident Performance
- Roberto Swazo, MD (PGY1) — Award for Best Overall Intern Performance
- Norman Beatty, MD (PGY2 - at right) — William J. Firth Community Outreach Award
- Jennifer Huang-Tsang, DO — Program Director's Faculty Award
- Kai Rou Tey, MBBS (PGY2) — Academic Achievement Award
“Congratulations to all our residents and good luck on the next steps in your medical career, wherever those take you!” said Eugene Trowers, MD, director of the Internal Medicine Residency Program – South Campus.
[NOTE: PGY = program year]
"Graduating Tucson Campus Internal Medicine Residents Celebrate with Banquet, Awards"
Release Date: 06/07/2016 - 4:45pm