The Division of Nephrology in the University of Arizona Department of Medicine and Banner University Medical Center – Tucson has active programs in clinical nephrology, teaching and training of fellows and residents, and a range of research opportunities. An important focus of the division is to emphasize translational and multi-disciplinary programs that truly go from bedside to bench to bedside in advancing patient care solutions.
At the clinical level, U.S. News & World Report has ranked nephrology care here among the top 50 programs in the country. Division faculty members care for patients with acute kidney injury, glomerulonephritis, complex hypertension, bladder and kidney stones, and chronic kidney disease (CKD). We are one of only four kidney transplant programs in the state of Arizona and have had a recent surge in kidney transplant activity, which has greatly benefitted our community. We also care for an increasing number of patients on hemodialysis, and have a growing home dialysis program (both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis) as well. An important and unique strength has been our partnership with Dialysis Clinics Inc. (DCI) to create a nocturnal hemodialysis program.
Faculty members from the Division of Nephrology are also involved in multiple clinical trials (more than 10 trials at present) targeting diverse kidney problems such as chronic kidney disease, kidney transplantation, vascular access dysfunction and glomerulonephritis.
The Division of Nephrology also has vibrant research programs in CKD progression, organ transplantation, renal genomics, dialysis vascular access, device development and tissue engineering.
Last but not least, an important focus of the division is on mentorship. We recognize that our greatest strength is our faculty and fellows. And, while we are committed to growing our clinical and research portfolios, the most important thing that we want to grow and nurture is people—our staff, faculty and fellows!
For this week's academic calendar, click here [PDF] or on the image at right for the "Peek of the Week."
UA Nephrology in the News:
- "Better Luck Next Year for Nephrology Consult Inclusion in Arizona Telemedicine Coverage" | Feb. 10, 2017
- "DOM Faculty Repeat as Winners in the 37th Annual College Teaching Awards" | Nov. 3, 2016
- "Physician to Thai Royal Princess Completes Visiting Scholar Tour at UA Nephrology" | Oct. 22, 2016
- "Once Again, Department of Medicine Leads Way on 'Best Hospital' National Rankings" | Aug. 8, 2016
- "UA Nephrology Chief Participates in White House Organ Summit" | June 22, 2016
- "UA Health Sciences Appoints Noted Health Leader to Head Clinical Research & Global Health Initiatives" | March 14, 2016
- "With New Chief, UA Nephrology Division Focuses on Partnerships for Innovative, High-Quality Kidney Care" | Sept. 9, 2015