Congratulations to Francisco Mora, MD, a PGY-2 resident with the University of Arizona Internal Medicine Residency Program – South Campus, who is the latest recipient of a Bressler-Alpert Society Travel Award.
The Bressler-Alpert Society was created in 2012 to help trainees in the UA Department of Medicine demonstrate to the world the innovative research being conducted across the largest department at the UA College of Medicine – Tucson. It is funded through the generosity of current and former faculty and alumni.
Dr. Mora earned his medical degree from the Universidad de Cuenca Facultad de Ciencias Medicas in Ecuador in 2003.
He will be presenting on his project, “Clinical Outcomes of Venomous Snakebites in the Ecuadorian Amazon Rainforest after Implementation of a National Protocol,” at the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 66th Annual Meeting, which will be held in Baltimore, Nov. 5-9.
The first recipient of the academic year was first-year infectious diseases fellow, Norman Beatty, MD, who will present on three projects at the Infectious Diseases Society of America's ID Week 2017 in San Diego, Oct. 4-8. His projects:
- “Appropriateness of a Rapid Multiplex Gastrointestinal Panel in the Investigation of Suspected Infectious Diarrhea at an Academic Medical Center,”
- “Seasonal Influenza Vaccine Availability at Urgent Care Centers in the State of Arizona, USA,” and
- “Rapid Multiplex Gastrointestinal Pathogen Panel Testing Improved Antibiotic Stewardship in Patients with Suspected Infectious Diarrhea Compared to Conventional Methods.”
Dr. Beatty earned his medical degree from Ross University School of Medicine and holds bachelor’s degrees in biotechnology and molecular biology and microbiology from the University of Central Florida. He completed his residency in internal medicine at the UA College of Medicine – Tucson.
Theirs are the 37th and 38th awards presented through the fund.
Thanks go to recent donors to the Bressler-Alpert Society Travel Assistance Fund in July and August:
- Tara Carr, MD – Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine
- Elizabeth Connick, MD – Division of Infectious Diseases
- Phil Factor, DO – Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine
- Monica Kraft, MD – Department of Medicine, Office of the Chair
- Laura Meinke, MD – Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine
- John Po, MD – Division of Infectious Diseases
- Prabir Roy-Chaudhury, MD, PhD – Division of Nephrology
- Linda Snyder, MD – Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine
- Amy Sussman, MD – Division of Nephrology
- Tejo Vemulapalli, MD – Division of Inpatient Medicine
- Andrew Yeager, MD – Division of Hematology & Oncology
- Tirdad Zangeneh, MD – Division of Infectious Diseases
Dr. Kraft, department chair, the Robert and Irene Flinn Endowed Chair of Medicine at the UA College of Medicine – Tucson, and deputy director of the UA Health Sciences Asthma and Airway Disease Research Center, issued a challenge in mid-July to faculty from the Department of Medicine to help raise funds to replenish the travel fund.
Her $1,000 contribution and other donations pushed the fund’s account to $4,050 by early August. That would be enough to provide $500 stipends to eight fellows, residents or students to present their research at academic conferences. The goal for this academic year is to help send at least 12 trainees to conferences.
About the Bressler-Alpert Society & Travel Assistance Fund
Through the generosity of current and former Department of Medicine faculty and alumni, the Bressler-Alpert Society Travel Award was established in August 2012. It was established to support the department’s education and research missions by funding travel for residents and fellows engaging in high quality research, so that they may have the opportunity to present their findings at academic conferences. Through the fund, more than three dozen recipients have presented at events across the United States, Canada and Europe.
To join the Bressler-Alpert Society and contribute to the Travel Assistance Fund, click here — anyone can donate and all donations are tax deductible. You can learn more about the fund on “Ways to Give” webpage for the UA Department of Medicine. To view the nearly 40 previous recipients of the travel fund awards, topics of their presentations and conferences they attended, click here.