COM – Tucson Dean Dr. Charles Cairns (center) thanked Drs. Taljanovic, Tardiff (third from left), Ellis, Mosier (not pictured), Porreca and Rice for their leadership via Twitter.
The UA Department of Medicine’s Jil C. Tardiff, MD, PhD, Jarrod M. Mosier, MD, and C. Kent Kwoh, MD, were recognized with 2017 Faculty Mentoring Awards as part of the UA College of Medicine – Tucson General Faculty Meeting held May 17 in Kiewit Auditorium.
- A physician-scientist specializing in mechanisms underlying development of genetic cardiomyopathy, Dr. Tardiff (right) is the department’s vice chair for research, a professor of medicine and cellular and molecular medicine in the Division of Cardiology, a member of the UA Sarver Heart Center and the Steven M. Gootter Endowed Chair for the Prevention of Sudden Cardiac Death. Among achievements this year, she helped launch the DOM Research Seminar Lecture Series and Principal Investigator (PI) Poster Session to highlight innovative research by junior and senior faculty and promote collaborative opportunities for faculty, fellows, residents and medical students.
- Dr. Mosier (above far right) is an associate professor of emergency medicine, assistant professor of medicine and associate program director for the DOM Critical Care Fellowship. His academic and research interests include advanced airway management, critical care ultrasound, resuscitation, sepsis care and echocardiography.
- Recognized with an honorable mention, Dr. Kwoh (right) is a professor of medicine and medical imaging, chief of the Division of Rheumatology, director of the UA Arthitis Center and the Charles A.L. and Suzanne M. Endowed Chair in Rheumatology. His clinical interests include rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis and gout. His research focuses on biomarkers for development and progression of knee osteoarthritis and related pain characterization patterns.
You'll find the full list of Faculty Mentoring Awards and honorable mentions further below.
Other items on the agenda for the faculty meeting included an overview of the new Workplace by Facebook intranet platform and presentations on the GME Committee Annual Report, Medical Student Research Committee Annual Report, Southern Arizona VA Health Care System and UAHS New Buildings & Renovation Projects. For the full agenda, click here.
You can also find at the agenda link above the event programs for the COM – Tucson Faculty Teaching Awards on Nov. 3, 2016, Medical Student Leadership Awards Ceremony on April 27, and the COM – Tucson Senior Awards Ceremony on May 11.
2017 College of Medicine Faculty Mentoring Awards
Mihra Taljanovic, MD, PhD, Professor, Department of Medical Imaging: “She continues to encourage me to be the best physician possible while showing me the importance of becoming the best person possible.”
Jil Tardiff, MD, PhD, Professor, Department of Medicine: “Dr. Tardiff has been an unwavering mentor for my career since it started in the early 1990s.”
Nathan Ellis, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine: “In the end, Dr. Nathan Ellis has kept me from failing many times, and has contributed to each of my successes.”
Jarrod Mosier, MD, Associate Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine: “Without his guidance I would not have achieved a fraction of what I have.”
Frank Porreca, PhD, Professor, Department of Pharmacology: “His passion for science was infectious and his enthusiasm was inspiring.”
Sydney Rice, MD, Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics: “Closely learning about and observing Dr. Rice’s mentoring and leadership style is one of the most honorable opportunities that I experienced.”
- William Adamas-Rappaport, MD, Professor, Department of Surgery
- Sridkar Adhikari, MD, Associate Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine
- Richard Amini, MD, Associate Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine
- Conrad Clemens, MD, MPH, Professor, Department of Pediatrics
- Sam Keim, MD, Professor & Chair, Department of Emergency Medicine
- C. Kent Kwoh, MD, Professor, Department of Medicine
- Diego Martin, MD, PhD, Professor & Chair, Department of Medical Imaging
- Ronald Pust, MD, Professor, Department of Family & Community Medicine
- Kathy Smith, MD, Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry
"Sleep Medicine’s Parthasarathy to Receive COM Faculty Mentoring Award, May 25" | Posted May 20, 2016