An article on racial disparities in knee replacement written by University of Arizona rheumatologist Ernest R. Vina, MD, not only was published by Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research (CORR) but chosen as the journal’s spotlight article of the month and for its “Take 5” author Q&A interview.
The article, “Does a Patient-Centered Educational Intervention Affect African-American Access to Knee Replacement? A Randomized Trial”—which includes UA Arthritis Center Director C. Kent Kwoh, MD, who also is chief of the UA Division of Rheumatology, among its co-authors—appears in the April 13 online edition of the magazine.
“I really enjoyed reading your work. This is exactly the kind of content we want to publish more of,” said CORR’s Editor-in-Chief Seth S. Leopold, MD, in explaining why the paper was chosen for the Take Five interview. “We try to promote the most interesting papers we publish, so readers even outside of the specialty will know why they are important to read. Your paper is ideal for this.”
Dr. Leopold added, “ The ‘Take 5’ interview is meant to take readers ‘behind’ the discovery, and give them greater insight into the paper and the research process more generally.”
Among other articles published over the last year by Division of Rheumatology faculty are:
- S. Farrokhi, Y.F. Chen, S.R. Piva, G.K. Fitzgerald, J.H. Jeong, C.K. Kwoh, “The Influence of Knee Pain Location on Symptoms, Functional Status and Knee-related Quality of Life in Older Adults with Chronic Knee Pain: Data from the Osteoarthritis Initiative,” The Clinical Journal of Pain, June 2016 [Online subscription required to view article.]
- Frank W. Roemer, C. Kent Kwoh, Michael J. Hannon, David J. Hunter, Felix Eckstein, Jason Grago, Robert M. Boudreau, Martin Englund, Ali Guermazi, “Partial meniscectomy is associated with increased risk for incident radiographic osteoarthritis and worsening cartilage damage in the following year,” European Radiology, First online: April 27, 2016.
- Ernest R. Vina, Diane Richardson, Elina Medvedeva, C. Kent Kwoh, Aliya Collier, Said A. Ibrahim, “Does a Patient-centered Educational Intervention Affect African-American Access to Knee Replacement? A Randomized Trial,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, First online: April 13, 2016.
- Ernest R. Vina, Di Ran, Erin L. Ashbeck, Said A. Ibrahim, Michael J. Hannon, Jin J. Zhou, C. Kent Kwoh, “Patient preferences for total knee replacement surgery: Relationship to clinical outcomes and stability of patient preferences over 2 years,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, Available online: March 30, 2016.
- C. Kent Kwoh, Ernest R. Vina, Yona K. Cloonan, Michael J. Hannon, Robert M. Boudreau and Said A. Ibrahim, “Determinants of patient preferences for total knee replacement: African-Americans and whites,” Arthritis Research & Therapy, Published: Dec. 3, 2015.
- Rafael G. Grau, “Drug-Induced Vasculitis: New Insights and a Changing Lineup of Suspects,” Current Rheumatology Reports, First online: Oct. 27, 2015.
- Ernest R. Vina, Michael J. Hannon, C. Kent Kwoh, “Improvement following total knee replacement surgery: Exploring preoperative symptoms and change in preoperative symptoms,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, Available online: Oct. 22, 2015.
- Manjinder Kaur, Emily S. Nia, Rebecca A. Millius, Dominick G. Sudano, Jeffrey R. Lisse, “Successful treatment of neuro-Behçet’s disease with infliximab: four years follow-up,” Rheumatology Reports, Published: Oct. 20, 2015.
- Manjinder Kaur, Courtney Walker, Emily S. Nia, Jeffrey R. Lisse, “Staphylococcus aureus Sternal Osteomyelitis: a Rare Cause of Chest Pain,” Southwest Journal of Pulmonary Critical Care, Oct. 13, 2015.
- Felix Eckstein, Robert Boudreau, Zhijie Wang, Michael J. Hannon, Jeff Duryea, Wolfgang Wirth, Sebastian Cotofana, Ali Guermazi, Frank Roemer, Michael Nevitt, Markus R. John, Christoph Ladel, Leena Sharma, David J. Hunter, C. Kent Kwoh, “Comparison of radiographic joint space width and magnetic resonance imaging for prediction of knee replacement: A longitudinal case-control study from the Osteoarthritis Initiative,” European Radiology, First online: Sept. 16, 2015.
- Ernest R. Vina, Leslie R.M. Hausmann, Tammy O. Utset, Christopher M. Masi, Kimberly P. Liang and C. Kent Kwoh, “Perceptions of racism in healthcare among patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: a cross-sectional study,” Lupus Science & Medicine, Published: Aug. 20, 2015.
- Inoshi Atukorala, C. Kent Kwoh, Ali Guermazi, Frank Roemer, Robert Boudreau, Michael J. Hannon, David J. Hunter, “Response to: 'Synovitis in knee osteoarthritis: a precursor or concomitant feature?'” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, Published Online First: Aug. 7, 2015.
- Frank W. Roemer, C. Kent Kwoh, Michael J. Hannon, David J. Hunter, Felix Eckstein, Tomoko Fujii, Robert M. Boudreau and Ali Guermazi, “What comes first? Multitissue involvement leading to radiographic osteoarthritis: magnetic resonance imaging-based trajectory analysis over four years in the osteoarthritis initiative,” Arthritis & Rheumatology, First published online: July 28, 2015.
- Frank W. Roemer, C. Kent Kwoh, Michael J. Hannon, David J. Hunter, Felix Eckstein, Zhijie Wang, Robert M. Boudreau, Markus R. John, Michael C. Nevitt, Ali Guermazi, “Can Structural Joint Damage Measured with MR Imaging Be Used to Predict Knee Replacement in the Following Year?” Radiology, March 2015.
- V.L. Johnson, C.K. Kwoh, A. Guermazi, F. Roemer, R.M. Boudreau, T. Fujii, M.J. Hannon, D.J. Hunter, “Loss of anterior cruciate ligament integrity and the development of radiographic knee osteoarthritis: a sub-study of the osteoarthritis initiative,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage/OARS, Osteoarthritis Research Society, Available online: Feb. 27, 2015.