Among recent news of note for the UA Department of Medicine are the following items, many of them included in UAHS Announcements over the past week:
A ‘Healthy Dose’ of Valley Fever Awareness
It’s Valley Fever Awareness Week, so the UA Health Sciences “Healthy Dose” blog chose that theme for a Nov. 10 posting, “Five Things You Should Know About Valley Fever.” The week culminates Wednesday, Nov. 18, with the CDC’s Tom Chiller, MD, and his presentation for both the DOM Grand Rounds and 20th Annual Farness Lecture: “There’s a Fungus Among Us: CDC’s Fight Against Fungal Diseases.” The event, which also will be livestreamed, is from noon to 1 p.m. in UACOM Room 5403. Learn more, including about two benefits this weekend, at the Valley Fever Center for Excellence website here.
3 of 7 Career Development Awards Go to DOM Faculty
The Department of Medicine was well-represented in the recent Career Development Awards (CDA) received by seven junior faculty members at the UA Health Sciences colleges. Among the winners were:
• Archita Desai, MD, an assistant professor and mainstay at the UA Liver Research Institute. Institute director and a past DOM chair Tom Boyer, MD, was noted as one of her mentors.
• Jarrod Mosier, MD, an assistant professor with a dual appointment in Emergency Medicine and DOM’s Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine.
• Olga Rafikova, MD, PhD, a research assistant professor in the Division of Translational and Regenerative Medicine (DTRM). Her mentors are the Center for Lung Vascular Pathobiology’s Steve Black, PhD (in DTRM), and the Molecular Cardiovascular Research Program’s Ankit Desai, MD, (in Cardiology).
• Also mentioned as mentors on other CDA winners were Rheumatology division chief Kent Kwoh, MD, and Janko Nikolich-Zugich, MD, PhD, co-director of the UA Center on Aging, which is affiliated with DOM’s Geriatrics, General Internal Medicine and Palliative Medicine.
DOM Department Chair Monica Kraft, MD, and Jason X.-J. Yuan, MD, PhD, UAHS associate vice president for translational sciences and DTRM chief, oversee the two-year support program that accompanies the award to assist CDA winners in building their portfolios and developing them as future leaders in health care.
Read more about the winners’ research…
New ‘Pulse’ Newsletter Aims to Better Track DOM’s Vital News
An e-newsletter for the Department of Medicine, “The Pulse,” launched Nov. 3, got a big welcome by DOM faculty and staff. With an opening circulation of 625, the first issue included more than 30 news links, including a profile on nephrologist Bijin Thajudeen, MD, the first physician within the Banner – University Medical Group practice plan to sign his employment contract. The issue had a 32 percent open rate, compared to an industry average for health care newsletters of 18.8 percent. Look for the next issue in early December. Click here to see the newsletter and/or subscribe. To submit a news item, contact David Mogollón, 626-1137.
- Research Grants Program - Request for Applications - Supported by AzAHEC
- Research and Project Small Grant Program - Request for Applications - Supported by AzAHEC
- Interprofessional Project Grant Program - Request for Applications - Supported by AzAHEC
- Community Engagement Research Program - Request for Applications - Supported by AzAHEC
IN OTHER NEWS…
Medical humanities magazine, 'Harmony,' to launch with fanfare, Nov. 18
A magazine from the UACOM Program in Medical Humanities, Harmony will launch with a celebration Wed., Nov. 18, 6-8 p.m., in UAHS Library Room 4150, featuring Aurelie Sheehan, author and UA professor of creative writing.
Let's Flip the Classroom! Interactive Workshop, Dec. 3, with Dr. Mascha Gemein, OIA
Dr. Gemein, UA Office of Instruction and Assessment, will conduct an interactive session Thursday, Dec. 3, 9-10:30 a.m., UACOM Room 3230, addressing the concept of flipped classroom methodology and activities to help you design a flipped classroom for your teaching situation.