More than 20 outstanding medical educators shared 37 awards presented on Thursday, Nov. 8, during the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson’s 39th Annual Faculty Teaching Awards and the Vernon and Virginia Furrow Awards.
The awards recognize faculty members for teaching excellence and the ability to encourage intellectual excitement; inspire the discovery of knowledge; and foster critical inquiry in the classroom, lab, hospital or clinic.
To see all of the award recipients, view the event program here.
Archived video from the ceremony can be viewed online here.
Also see a photo gallery below courtesy of photographer Rick Kopstein, UAHS BioCommunications (click this link for more pictures posted to the college’s flickr webpage).
“These awards were conceived to recognize exceptional faculty members who exceed all standards of teaching and mentoring,” said Deputy Dean for Education Kevin Moynahan, MD, who presided over the ceremony.
“I am pleased that our college continues this yearly tradition; those who foster supportive learning environments and intellectually inspire the next generation of physicians play a key role in our ability to shape the future of medicine.”
Five college faculty members were bestowed with this year’s Vernon and Virginia Furrow Teaching Awards. Recipients were selected by the college’s Academy of Medical Education Scholars (AMES), an internal committee of faculty members who promote excellence in teaching and educational scholarship that also presented a separate award of its own. Two recipients were from the UA Department of Medicine.
Thirty-one Faculty Teaching Awards were presented with seven going to members of the UA Department of Medicine, including two each for John Bloom, MD, and Amy Sussman, MD, who was recognized with the Basic Science Educator of the Year Lifetime Award and as Educator of the Year (Years III & IV).
The lifetime award is not given every year. It recognizes three-time recipients for Basic Science Educator of the Year, Clinical Science Educator of the Year and Houseofficer Educator of the Year honors. Lifetime award winners are presented with a chair in recognition of the honor and their names are retired from future consideration for these awards.
Dr. Bloom, an associate professor of medicine and pharmacology, was the first from the Department of Medicine to receive the Basic Science Educator of the Year Lifetime Award last year. This year, he won for Outstanding Achievement in Teaching by a Block (Year I) and Deans List for Excellence in Teaching (Years III & IV).
In addition, the Department of Medicine was recognized for the second year in a row with the Outstanding Achievement in Teaching by a Clerkship or Elective Clinical Sciences. Dr. Sussman, an associate professor of medicine, is director of the Medicine Clerkship as well as the Nephrology Fellowship Program and associate chair of education for the department.
Others recognized for educational achievement in internal medicine this year were:
- Furrow Awards – Clinical Science Teaching in Undergraduate Medical Curriculum — Robert J. Segal, MD | associate professor, Division of Dermatology
- Furrow Awards – Basic Science Teaching in the Undergraduate Medical Curriculum — Erika Bracamonte, MD | associate professor of medicine and pathology, Division of Nephrology, and director, Renal Biopsy Service
- Dean's List for Excellence in Teaching, Year I — Elizabeth B. Juneman, MD | associate professor, Division of Cardiology; member, UA Sarver Heart Center; and director, Outpatient Cardiology, Banner – University Medical Center Tucson and South
- Dean's List for Excellence in Teaching, Years III and IV — J.P. Ferreira, MD | assistant professor, Division of Inpatient Medicine; and associate director, Internal Medicine Residency Program – Tucson Campus
- Dean's List for Excellence in Teaching by a Houseofficer — Kris Kumar, DO | chief resident, Internal Medicine, Banner – UMC Tucson, and Bonnie J. Barbee, MD | resident, Internal Medicine, Banner – UMC Tucson
- Rural Preceptor Teaching Award — Judith A. Hunt, MD | Medicine/Pediatrics – Payson
PHOTO GALLERY (click image to enlarge):
“Department of Medicine Faculty to Take Quarter of Honors at 2018 College Faculty Teaching Awards” | Posted Oct. 21, 2018