It is that time of year when, across the country, we have the annual comings and goings of fellowship program members graduating from and starting their advanced medical training. Programs in the Department of Medicine are feeling the churn as well — with farewells to colleagues we’ve gotten to know and greetings to new physicians joining us — all in anticipation of great things to come.
Among new fellows we can expect to see arriving in the next few weeks are the following folks (with prior training and education listed):
Critical Care Fellow
- Katelin Morrissette, MD — Chief Resident, Emergency Medicine, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, N.H.; MD: Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee; Undergrad (BS): Biomedical Engineering, Michigan Technical University, Houghton, Mich.
Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism Fellows
- Laila Abu Zaid, MD — Chief Resident, Banner – UMC Tucson; Internal Medicine Residency, UA College of Medicine Tucson; MD: University of Jordan Faculty of Medicine, Jordan
- Zeina Ali, MD —University of Nevada School of Medicine, Las Vegas, Internal Medicine Residency; MD: Ross University School of Medicine, Portsmouth, Dominica; Undergrad (BS): Biological Sciences, University of California, Irvine
- Zubair Mirza, MBBS — (transfer) Endocrinology Fellowship, Rutgers University Robert Wood Johnson School of Medicine, New Brusnwick, N.J.; Internal Medicine Residency, St. Luke’s Hospital, Chesterfield, Mo.; MBBS: Deccan College of Medical Sciences, India.
Hematology & Medical Oncology Fellows
- Akshay Amaraneni, MD —Internal Medicine Residency, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo; MD: St. George’s University School of Medicine, Grenada; Undergrad (BS): Biology/Management, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta
- Alejandro Recio Boiles, MD — Internal Medicine Residency, Jacobi Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, N.Y.; MD: Universidad Autónoma de San Luis Potosí Facultad de Medicina, Mexico
- Andrew C. Retew, DO —Internal Medicine Residency, The Reading Hospital and Medical Center, Reading, Pa.; DO: Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Erie, Pa.; Pre-Med: LaSalle University, Philadelphia
Hospice & Palliative Medicine Fellow
- Bianca Zangeneh, MD — UA residencies in Internal Medicine & General Surgery; MD: Universidad Gama Filho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (She previously completed a fellowship in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and residencies in Colorectal and General Surgery in Brazil.)
- Sumaya Farran, MD, starts her Infectious Diseases Fellowship in July here after completing her current Geriatric Medicine Fellowship with the UA Division of Geriatrics, General Internal Medicine and Palliative Medicine. Dr. Farran completed her residency in Internal Medicine here, too, and was also an internal medicine resident at Hama Hospital in Hama, Syria. She earned her medical degree at the University of Damascus Faculty of Medicine in Syria, and has done research related to environmental factors in asthma (Damascus University Hospital), efficacy of low-dose chemo for treatment of Valley Fever in liver transplant recipients (UA/Tirdad Zangeneh, MD), and factors associated with the failure of medical management in diabetic foot infection (UA/Mayar Al Mohajer, MD).
- Fahad Alobaidi, MD — Internal Medicine Residency, UA College of Medicine – Tucson (and Research Assistant, Division of Nephrology); MD: University of Baghdad College of Medicine, Iraq (He also was a research assistant at Wayne State University, Detroit, St. Louis University Hospital, Missouri, and Al-Baraha Hospital, Dubai, UAE.)
- Iyad Mansour, MBChB — Internal Medicine Residency, UA College of Medicine – Tucson; MBChB: Misr University for Science and Technology, Egypt (He also completed an internship at Ramallah Government Hospital, West Bank, and Internal Medicine Residency at the Islamic Hospital, Amman, Jordan.)
Pulmonary & Critical Care Fellows
- Lauren E. Estep, MD —Internal Medicine Residency, University of Illinois Chicago; MD: Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pa.; Undergrad (BS): Biology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
- Michael Insel, MD — Internal Medicine Residency, California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco; MD: University of Rochester School of Medicine & Dentistry, N.Y.; Pre-Med: Bryn Mawr College, Pa. (Previously was lab tech, UA Sarver Heart Center, Tucson)
- Steven P. Sears, DO — Chief Resident, Internal Medicine, and Internal Medicine Residency, Mayo Clinic Hospital, Jacksonville, Fla. DO: Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, Glendale; Undergrad (BS): Exercise Science, Gonzaga University, Spokane, Wash.
- Tiffany K. Ynosencio, MD — Chief Resident, Internal Medicine, and Internal Medicine Residency, Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, Texas; MD: Boston University School of Medicine; Undergrad (BS): Microbiology, Texas A&M University, College Station
Two current fellows in Hospice & Palliative Medicine who graduate June 30 will go on to attending physician appointments in Arizona—Michael Debo, DO, in palliative care at Dignity Health St Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, and Katherine Hawbaker, MD, in palliative care and emergency medicine at Flagstaff Medical Center.
Graduating Hematology & Medical Oncology Fellows Srinath Sundararajan, MD, and Simran K. Sindhu, DO, are staying on with UA Cancer Center positions in our Division of Hematology and Oncology. Dr. Sindhu will be focus on head-and-neck and general cancers and will be seeing patients at our Orange Grove Campus, and Dr. Sundararajan will be focus on melanoma cancers and will see patients at North Campus.
Among other outgoing fellows, Bhupinder Natt, MD, will join the UA Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine faculty, and Christopher H. Strawter, MD, is headed to private practice with Intermountain Healthcare in St. George, Utah. Both are graduating from our Pulmonary & Critical Care Fellowship Program.
Graduating fellows from the Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism Fellowship are Divya Pati, MBBS, Charisse Te, MD, and George Thott, MD. Dr. Thot is headed to private practice with Northwest Community Medical Group, Buffalo Grove, Ill.
Look for additional news on where other graduating UA fellows are headed to be posted soon.
"South Campus Internal Medicine Residents, Graduates Honored at Annual Dinner" - Three Graduating Residents Headed to UA Cardiology Fellowships
Release Date: 06/11/2016 - 11:45am