With the smell of creosote strong from a rare June desert rain, the University of Arizona Internal Medicine Residency Program – South Campus celebrated the graduation of 10 residents and a chief resident at an annual awards banquet Friday, June 15, at the Westward Look Resort.
"We are very proud of our graduating seniors. All of their hard work has been richly rewarded in terms of their job and fellowship placements. We would also like to acknowledge all of the hard work performed by the faculty on behalf of the housestaff," said Eugene Trowers, MD, MPH, program director, professor of medicine and director of gastrointestinal services at the UA College of Medicine - Tucson at South Campus/Banner - University Medical Center South.
You can find a photo gallery at this link [PDF] (or by clicking on the image at left).
An online photo album also is available at the UA Department of Medicine Facebook webpage.
Recognition for Residents, Faculty
Among awards presented by the program and residents were:
- 2018 Award for Best Overall Intern Performance went to Gianna O’Hara, DO
- 2018 William J. Firth Community Outreach Award went to Roberto Swazo, MD
- 2018 Award for Best Overall Residence Performance went to Roberto Swazo, MD
- Outstanding Contributions in Resident As Educator Activities went to Karen Spear Ellinwood, PhD, JD, EdS, an assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology and director, faculty instructional development, UA College of Medicine – Tucson, and T. Gail Pritchard, PhD, an assistant professor of pediatrics and director, resident/fellow development at the UA College of Medicine - Tucson
- Best Teacher Award went to Anna Stepczynski, MD, an assistant professor, UA Division of Geriatrics, General Internal and Palliative Medicine, and a UA Reynolds Scholar in Applied Geriatrics
- Program Director Faculty Award went to Ahmad Al-Khashman, MD (was not present Friday night), hospitalist and assistant professor, UA Division of Inpatient Medicine
On June 14, another South Campus resident in the program, Emilio P. Power, MD, won the UA College of Medicine – Tucson’s Best Resident Teacher Award as well. The honor was presented by Katharine Beeler, MD (pictured right), a hospitalist and assistant professor with the UA Division of Inpatient Medicine.
Outgoing chief resident Senthil Anand, MBBS, presented personalized awards to outgoing residents as well. Dr. Anand heads next to a cardiology fellowship at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz.
South Campus Class of 2018 Destinations
Graduating residents include (with where they’re headed next):
Kady Goldlist, MD – Geriatric Fellowship, Harvard, Boston
Jayasree Jonnadula, MBBS – Endocrinology Fellowship, UA College of Medicine – Tucson
Radhamani Kannaiyan, MBBS – Hospitalist, Vidant Health/East Carolina University, Greenville, N.C.
Jose Marquez, MD – Infectious Diseases Fellowship, UA College of Medicine – Tucson
Balaji Natarajan, MBBS – Cardiology Fellowship, University of California Riverside
Rui Wen Pang, MD – Geriatrics Fellowship, University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill
Nirmal Singh, MBBS – Hospitalist, Memorial Hospital, Bakersfield, Calif.
Chandra Stockdall, MD – Hospitalist, Carondelet Health Network, Tucson
Roberto Swazo, MD – Chief Resident, UA Internal Medicine Residency Program – South Campus
Wei Xiang Wong, MD – Nephrology Fellowship, UA College of Medicine – Tucson
Certificates also were presented to graduating interns, James Bardwell, DO; Leena Danawala, MD; Spencer Jasper, MD; Christopher Jensen, MD; Mateen Khokhar, DO; Gianna O'Hara, DO; Rozina Parbtani, MD; Marlena Szewczyk, MD; and Jonathan Waller, MD. All will be continuing with the program.
For details on graduating residents from the UA Internal Medicine Residency Program – University Campus and Advanced Dermatology Residency Program, see the first link below.
“Graduating Class of 2018 Department of Medicine Residents Celebrating in Style” | Posted June 6, 2018
“South Campus GME Scholarly Day Spreads the Wealth on 2018 Awards” | Posted May 18, 2018
"South Campus Residents Join at the Omni Resort for Grad Night Festivities" | Posted June 19, 2017