A number of University of Arizona Department of Medicine – Tucson faculty are lined up as presenters and panelists during a Clinical Trials Development Workshop on Saturday, April 13, sponsored by the UA College of Medicine – Tucson and supported by a grant from the Arizona Biomedical Research Commission, a unit of the Arizona Department of Health Services.
They include: Hani Babiker, MD; Julie Bauman, MD, MPH; Khadijah Breathett, MD; Pavani Chalasani, MD; Kwan Lee, MD; Jarrod Mosier, MD; Sairam Parthasarathy, MD; and Rachna Shroff, MD. See the program below for topics and order of appearance.
The workshop will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Hacienda del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, 5501 N. Hacienda del Sol Road in Tucson.
The event is FREE, but registration is required as attendance is limited to 60 people. UA and Banner faculty, fellows and residents are encouraged to attend.
- Interested in getting started in clinical trials?
- Learn about the nuts and bolts of clinical trials
- Top 10 problems with research proposals
- How do you start a budget?
- Lessons learned from new and experienced PIs.
For more information, contact Allie Min, MD, email@example.com or (520) 626-1280. See the program below.
8:30 a.m. | Registration & Continental Breakfast
9:00 a.m. | “Clinical Trials 101” — Rachna Shroff, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine, Division of Hematology & Oncology, UA Department of Medicine, and Chief, Division of GI Medical Oncology, UA Cancer Center
9:30 a.m. | “Top 10 Problems with Research Proposals” — Mariette Marsh, Director, Human Subjects Protection – Privacy Program
10:00 a.m. | “Top 10 Things You Should Know about Biostatistics for Clinical Trials” — Bonnie LaFleur, PhD, Research Professor, UA BIO5 Institute; Adjunct Professor, UA College of Public Health
10:30 a.m. | BREAK
10:45 a.m. | “Things I Wish I Had Known as a New PI”
- Mohab Ibrahim, MD, Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Pharmacology
- Khadijah Breathett, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, UA Department of Medicine, and Member, UA Sarver Heart Center
- Jarrod Mosier, MD, Associate Professor, Emergency Medicine and Medicine, and Associate Program Director, Critical Care Fellowship, UA Department of Medicine
- Pavani Chalasani, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine and Cancer Biology – GIDP, and Program Director, Hematology and Medical Oncology Fellowship, UA Department of Medicine
- Hani Babiker, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Division of Hematology & Oncology, UA Department of Medicine, and Associate Director, Phase I Program, UA Cancer Center
11:20 a.m. | “How to Negotiate Budgets and Contracts”
- Lauren Zajac, Assistant Vice President, UAHS Research Administration
- Elisha Johnson, Assistant Director, UAHS Research Administration
11:50 a.m. | “Pearls and Pitfalls Panel”
- Gloria Rippe, Assistant Manager, Clinical Trials Office, UA Cancer Center
- Osmara Molina, Program Manager, Industry Studies, Asthma/Airway Disease Research Center
- Sarah David, Program Manager, Federal Studies, Asthma/Airway Disease Research Center
- Mary Ann Byerly, Senior Research Specialist, UA Cancer Center
- Michael Medina, Assistant Director, Service Desk, COM Information Technology Services
- John Howard, Privacy Officer – HIPAA, UAHS Research Administration Services
12:25 p.m. | “Clinical Trials M&M” (and Lunch)
- Sairam Parthasarathy, MD, Professor of Medicine and Clinical Translational Sciences; Chief, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine; and Director, UAHS Center for Sleep & Circadian Sciences and Banner – University Medicine Center for Sleep Disorders
- Julie Bauman, MD, MPH, Professor of Medicine; Division Chief, Hematology Oncology, UA Department of Medicine, and Associate Director, Translational Research, UA Cancer Center
- Kwan S. Lee, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine; Associate Chief, Division of Cardiology, and Associate Program Director, Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship Program, UA Department of Medicine; and Member, UA Sarver Heart Center
- Kurt Denninghoff, MD, Professor of Emergency Medicine, Optical Sciences and BIO5 Institute
Event flyer (please view, post and share with colleagues):