After last year’s first chill of fall and drizzling rain during the Innovations & Inventions Research Fair, the indoors of the forum at the Health Sciences Innovation Building was a welcome venue as University of Arizona Health Sciences researchers, faculty and staff gathered Oct. 17 for the third annual event.
The fair was created during the UA College of Medicine – Tucson’s 50th anniversary year (2017) to highlight the breadth of research here and has evolved as a showcase of what largely new faculty are focusing on in their investigations.
Three of this year’s presenters were from the UA Department of Medicine: Edward Gellmann, MD (Hematology & Oncology), Salma Patel, MD, MPH (Pulmonary: Sleep Medicine), and Jennifer Stern, PhD (Endocrinology). Many of the topics, though, crossed over into areas of study represented by the department’s 14 divisions.
Below, you can see video from the event, speakers and their topics as well as a mini-photo album from the evening’s festivities. For the video, the program begins at about the 13-minute mark. Drag the arrow there and it should start shortly thereafter.
VIDEO OF THE EVENT:
See all the speakers and their presentation themes below:
- Mohamed N. Ahmed, MD, PhD | Associate Professor, Pediatrics
“Neuro-modulation as a new strategy for pulmonary hypertension”
- Alicia M. Allen, PhD, MPH | Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
“Hormones in substance use disorders: A novel approach to breaking the abstinence-relapse cycle?”
- Darren Cusanovich, PhD | Research Assistant Professor, Cellular and Molecular Medicine
“Single-cell genomic technologies – A call to arms”
- Edward P. Gelmann, MD | Professor, Medicine
“Therapeutic targeting of the prostate cancer suppressor NKX3.1”
- David S. Margolis, MD, PhD | Assistant Professor, Orthopaedic Surgery
“Implantable sensors to monitor and treat skeletal pathology”
- Mark A. Nelson, PhD | Professor, Pathology
“Liquid biopsy for early cancer analysis”
Tech Launch Arizona commercialization success story: DesertDX
- Salma I. Patel, MD, MPH | Assistant Professor, Medicine
“Cardiorespiratory interactions leading to death in obstructive sleep apnea”
- Paulo Pires, PhD | Assistant Professor, Physiology
“Capillaries as novel regulators of cerebral blood flow in health and disease”
- Jennifer H. Stern, PhD | Assistant Professor, Medicine
“Glucagon signaling in obesity and aging”
- Joann Sweasy, PhD | Associate Director for Basic Sciences and Interim Director, UA Cancer Center, and Professor, Cellular and Molecular Medicine
“Treating cancer with antidepressants”
- Nahla Zaghloul, MD | Assistant Professor, Pediatrics
“Neuro-protective role for galantamine in neonatal white matter brain injury”
- Yana Zavros, PhD | Associate Head and Professor, Cellular and Molecular Medicine
“Organoids as an in vitro model of human gastrointestinal diseases”
(Images courtesy of UAHS photographer Rick Kopstein — click to enlarge!)
Look for additional photos from the 2019 Innovations & Inventions Research Fair posted at the UA College of Medicine – Tucson’s photo galleries webpage here.
“Drs. Breathett, Merchant Spotlight DOM Research at 2nd Innovations & Inventions Fair” | Posted Oct. 18, 2019
“New UA Researchers to Showcase Medical at Innovations and Inventions 2018” | Posted Oct. 8, 2018
“DOM Faculty Turn Out in Force for 50th Anniversary UA College of Medicine Research Fair” | Posted Oct. 23, 2017