Local media coverage for UA Department of Medicine faculty and related operations under our primary clinical partner, Banner – University Medicine, was substantial in 2017.
Among notable feature articles published locally were the following…
■ November 2017 | IN HEALTH
“Understanding Dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease – Detecting, treating and even one day possibly preventing or curing the disorder is a part of the mission of two local physicians”
“The longer we live, the greater the chance we get dementia,” says the UA Center on Aging’s Mindy Fain, MD, noting Alzheimer’s is the fifth leading cause of death in Arizona. “We have an aging society that will be burdened by it unless together we solve this issue”…
■ October 2017 | IN HEALTH
“Breast Cancer – Better Ways to Detect and Treat”
“Treatment is not a single-doctor approach anymore,” said Pavani Chalasani, MD, University of Arizona Cancer Center. She notes that genetic testing today can reveal much more than just whether someone is high risk. “There are a lot of nuances to this,” she adds…
■ August 2017 | MEDICAL GUIDE
The Tucson Lifestyle Medical Guide 2017-18 starts on p. 35 (p. 1 MG) with Banner – UMC Tucson and South featured on p.50-51 (p. 16-17 MG).
The feature story, “New Medical Technologies: The Game Changers” begins on p. 72 (p. 39 MG), with UA Division of Cardiology/UA Sarver Heart Center director of Cardiac Electrophysiology Program’s Mathew Hutchinson, MD, spotlighted on p. 76 (p. 42 MG).
“If you look at morbidity related to having a stroke due to AFib (atrial fibrillation), those clots are worse than cholesterol plaque clots. The AFib ones are larger and produce more disability, often traveling to parts of the brain that control movement, speech and cognition,” Dr. Hutchinson said…
■ July 2017 | TOP DOCTORS
Not to be confused with the Best Doctors list, "Top Doctors"—with feature articles in this issue on UA surgical oncologist Taylor Riall, MD, PhD, and UA pediatric cardiac surgeon Mary-Jane Barth, MD—is compiled by Castle Connolly and replaced Best Doctors as the list that Tucson Lifestyle uses for its summer splash for physicians. You can see the web story here or view the online digital magazine version here. For our earlier coverage, underscoring the fact that the UA Department of Medicine faculty made up a quarter of all UA top doctors listed, see this link.
■ Winter 2017 | Space – The Tucson Frontier
The UA Center on Aging gets a mention in the Winter 2017 BizTucson issue in an article about Water mark Retirement Communities, "Watermark Makes a Splash: Visionary Senior Living," p. 32-35.
■ Spring 2017 | Women Who Lead
This issue is chock full of mentions for the UA College of Medicine – Tucson and UA Health Sciences, starting with UA BIO5 Institute Director Jennifer K. Barton, PhD, on the cover with the theme, “Women Who Lead,” underscored in the publisher's letter.
Dr. Barton and Roberta Diaz-Brinton, MD, are highlighted for their research — Barton under the article, “Taking on Ovarian Cancer with Teamwork,” and Diaz-Brinton in “Expert in Alzheimer’s Focuses on Women.”
- UA Sarver Heart Center volunteer Wanda Moore is profiled under “Champion for Creating Change for Women & Girls,” for her recognition as the 2017 Luncheon Honoree of the Women’s Foundation of Southern Arizona, and
- Local philanthropist Ginny Clements, whose giving has supported a number of UA causes, including the UA Cancer Center, is recognized under “Clements, Donors Make Academic Center a Reality.”
- A two-page spread looks at progress in construction of Banner Health’s new 9-story main campus hospital tower, under “Banner-University Medical Center Tops Out – Last Beam Placed on $400 Million Project.”
■ Summer 2017 | Mayor on a Mission
The big feature in this issue is a "Special Report: Hotbed of Innovation – UA, Tech Launch Arizona & Tech Parks Arizona" on p. 67-106. It includes spotlights of UA Health Sciences spinoffs such as medication management firm SinfoniaRx and heart graft innovator Avery Therapeutics (founded by Steve Goldman, MD, of UA Sarver Heart Center) in “Six Companies Out to Change the World,” as well as Regalgene, Regulonix, BDIAB and Omnicient (the last involving a 360°-view endoscope developed by Bhaskar Banerjee, MD, Division of Gastroenterology) in the article, “Tech Launch Arizona I-Squared Awards.”
- Andrew Weil, MD, founding director of the UA Center on Integrative Medicine, is among those interviewed for “Growing Secure, Sustainable, Sensational Foods,” p. 108-109, and
- Gerald Goldberg, MD, an affiliated UA clinical professor in dermatology and founder of Pima Dermatology, is recognized in “Laser Medicine Honor,” p. 126, for winning the 2017 Goldberg Memorial Award from the American Society for Laser Medicine & Surgery.
- And in the “New to Market” column for BizCONSTRUCTION, you’ll find a synopsis for the Banner – University Medicine North outpatient care facility.
■ Fall 2017 | Dr. Robert C. Robbins
The new University of Arizona president and UA College of Medicine – Tucson’s 50th anniversary get great treatment in this issue.
First, see, “A Unifying Vision: University of Arizona President Collaborates with Stakeholders” (p. 46-51) – featuring new UA President Robert C. Robbins, MD, former CEO of Houston’s Texas Medical Center—the largest health complex in the world. You also can see a short Q&A with Dr. Robbins (p. 100) as a member of Chairman’s Circle for Sun Corridor Inc., an economic development agency for Southern Arizona.
The “SPECIAL REPORT 2017: The University of Arizona College of Medicine Tucson – 50 Years of Innovation” starts on p. 155.
- “Picking Up Speed at 50: UA College of Medicine – Tucson Takes the Fast Lane in Research, Education”
UA Department of Medicine highlights include nods to Chair Monica Kraft, MD, as a renowned scientist and deputy director of the UA Health Sciences Asthma and Airway Disease Research Center, as well as a number of departmental timeline hits, such as:
• 1971: Establishment of the Arizona Respiratory Sciences Center—now the UA Asthma and Airway Diseases Research Center—along with University Hospital, now Banner – UMC Tucson (see page 160)
• 1976: Launch of the UA Cancer Center (see page 161)
• 1980: Creation of UA Center on Aging (see page 161)
• 1985: First successful total artificial heart surgery as a bridge to transplant and launch of UA Arthritis Center
• 1986: UA Sarver Heart Center established
• 1993: Program starts that evolves into UA Center for Integrative Medicine
• 2000: Liver Research Institute—now the UA Thomas D. Boyer Liver Institute—starts
• 2003: Drs. Gordon Ewy, Karl Kern first to advocate for chest compression only CPR
• 2015: UA Health Network merges with Banner Health to form Banner – University Medicine
- “Q&A with Dr. Charles B. Cairns, Dean, UA College of Medicine – Tucson”
- “Major Economic Driver in Arizona & Beyond”
- “A Passion for Patients: The Right Reason to Become a Doctor” (with Kevin Moynahan, MD)
- “School for Innovation: Multimillion Dollar Grants Fuel Research”
- “Philanthropy Critical to the Mission”
The All of Us℠/Precision Medicine Research Program was spotlighted in the January 2017 inaugural issue of Arizona Physician magazine. The program began signing up patients in the summer and, by mid-fall, had 1,500 people, which more than doubled by the end of the year. The article quotes UA nephrologist and a program principal investigator Akinlolu Ojo, MD, PhD, MPH, throughout.
Other highlights include:
“Combating Government Incursion upon the Patient-Physician Relationship” – an essay by Alexander Alvarez, a second-year MD/PhD student at the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson, p. 40-41
► Featured on the cover, UA surgeon and acting senior vice president, UA Health Sciences, Leigh Neumayer, MD, is interviewed in an article on p. 23-25 entitled, “Collegiality and Mentorship – Thriving as Women in Medicine Today”
► "Pima County Perspective – Women in Medicine: Gender Matters!" by Charles Cairns, MD, dean, UA College of Medicine - Tucson – p. 6-7
John Galgiani, MD, founding director, UA Valley Fever Center for Excellence, is among attendees of the “2017 Public Health Forum” hosted by the Maricopa County Medical Society, pictured in this issue.
Ole Thienhaus, MD, penned the article, “Population Health Management: A Model of an Integrated Service Delivery System,” in the magazine’s July issue, p. 34-37
If there are any magazine feature articles you’d like to recommend for recognition in the DOM News, please reach out to David Mogollon, communications coordinator, email@example.com
INSIDE TUCSON BUSINESS:
Dec. 12, 2017
“Spotlight: Banner-University rolls out state-of-the-art outpatient facility”
[Mentions: Banner – University Medicine North, UA Cancer Center]
LEARN MORE ►►►
Oct. 27, 2017
“People in Action: UA expert named chair of National Library of Medicine Board of Regents”
[Mentions: Dr. Esther Sternberg | UA Center for Integrative Medicine, UA Center on Place and Wellbeing]
LEARN MORE ►►►
Oct. 3, 2017
“Local medical leaders honored at annual banquet (for ‘Influential Health and Medical Leader’ awards)”
[Mentions: Drs. David S. Alberts, Frederick Ahmann, Emad Elquza, Simran Sindhu | UA Cancer Center, UA Center for Integrative Medicine, Banner – UMC Tucson]
LEARN MORE ►►►
Aug. 18, 2017
“Top Story: UA studying economic benefit of home-based healthcare”
[Mentions: Drs. Mindy Fain, Monica Vandivort and Corinne Self | UA Center on Aging, UA Division of Geriatrics, General Internal Medicine and Palliative Medicine]
LEARN MORE ►►►
June 26, 2017
“Board of Supervisors renews hospital contract with Banner, Regents”
[Mentions: Banner – University Medical Center South]
LEARN MORE ►►►
“DOM Physicians Make Up a Quarter of UA ‘Top Doctors’ in 2017” | Posted July 13, 2017
“Tech Launch AZ Honors Inventors, Startups, Impact-Makers at I-Squared Awards & Expo” | Posted April 24, 2017
“Gootter Grand Slam Earns Ink in BizTucson for Sarver Heart Center, Dr. Karl Kern” | Posted March 7, 2017
“Immunity, Aging, Nutrition and ‘Healthspans’ Topic for Tucson Lifestyle, Center on Aging Co-Director” | Posted March 7, 2017
“‘Top Doctors’ List Preview for July Issue of Tucson Lifestyle includes 25 DOM Faculty” | Posted March 7, 2017
“BizTucson Articles in 2016 Highlight Banner Construction, Dr. Weill, Big Data” | Posted Dec. 7, 2016
“Department of Medicine Docs Grab Ink throughout 2016 in Tucson Lifestyle” | Posted Nov. 17, 2016