Congratulations to the five physicians from the University of Arizona Department of Medicine who were included as honorees at the Esteemed Faculty Reception hosted March 12, 2019, in the Meinel Optical Sciences Building.
The annual event is a presentation of the UA Office of the President and was hosted by UA President Robert C. Robbins, MD, who was joined as a speaker by Jeffrey Goldberg, PhD, interim senior vice president for academic affairs and provost, and Kimberly Ogden, PhD, interim vice president for research.
Seventy-two past and current honorees were recognized (click image at right for full list), among them:
- Clara Curiel-Lewandrowski, MD – Professor of Medicine, UA Division of Dermatology; Director, Cutaneous Oncology Program, UA Skin Cancer Institute; and member, UA Cancer Center and UA BIO5 Institute | Recognition: Researcher of the Year – Arizona Bioscience
- Karen Herbst, MD, PhD – Associate Professor of Medicine, Radiology and Surgery, UA Division of Endocrinology; Clinical Associate Professor, Pharmacy Practice Science; and Director, Treatment, Research and Education of Adipose Tissue (TREAT) Program | Recognition: Lifetime Achievement Award – Influential Health and Medical Leaders
- Monica Kraft, MD – Professor of Medicine, UA Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine; The Robert and Irene Flinn Endowed Chair of Medicine at the UA College of Medicine – Tucson; Deputy Director of the UA Health Sciences Asthma and Airway Disease Research Center, and member, UA BIO5 Institute | Recognition: Distinguished Achievement Award – American Thoracic Society
- Rebecca R. Vanderpool, PhD – Assistant Professor of Medicine, UA Division of Translational and Regenerative Medicine, UA College of Medicine – Tucson; and Biomedical Engineering, UA College of Engineering | Recognition: Early Career Research Achievement Award – American Thoracic Society, Assembly on Pulmonary Circulation
- Jason Yuan, MD, PhD* – Professor of Medicine and Physiology, UA College of Medicine – Tucson; Chief, UA Division of Translational and Regenerative Medicine; and Associate Vice President for Translational Sciences, UA Health Sciences | Recognition: Robert M. Berne Distinguished Lectureship, Cardiovascular Section – American Physiological Society.
* As Dr. Kraft noted in her “Message from the Chair” in the February 2019 issue of The Pulse, the newsletter of the UA Department of Medicine, Dr. Yuan has since left to join the faculty at the University of California, San Diego.
Congratulations to you all!
“Dr. Monica Kraft a Finalist for Tucson’s ‘Women of Influence’ Award” | Posted Feb. 1, 2019
“UA’s Dr. Monica Kraft Figures Prominently in MD Magazine Coverage of CHEST 2018” | Posted Oct. 17, 2018
“Dr. Clara Curiel-Lewandrowski Named Winner of AZBIO Researcher of the Year Award” | Posted Aug. 24, 2018
“Renowned Asthma Researcher, Dr. Monica Kraft Picked for Prestigious NIH Advisory Post” | Posted Aug. 14, 2018
“Dr. Karen Herbst Takes Top Honor at 4th Annual Influential Health and Medical Leaders Awards” | Posted June 15, 2018
“UA’s Dr. Monica Kraft Receives Distinguished Achievement Award from American Thoracic Society” | Posted May 23, 2018
“Drs. Vanderpool, Knox Among 14 to Win ABRC Grant Awards Worth Total of Over $5.92 Million” | Posted April 24, 2018