Tomorrow is the big day – Shark Tank at Research Day 2019 for the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson. The list of presenters has been set. Work has been completed to make sure that everyone’s presentation is functional.
The event will be broadcast live at Facebook.com/UACOM.Tucson beginning at 3 p.m. The new Health Sciences Innovation Building plays host to the college's Research Day activities.
For Research Day's full agenda and keynote speakers (including Esther Sternberg, MD — research director, UA Center for Integrative Medicine, founding director of the UA Institute on Place, Wellbeing & Performance, and professor of medicine and psychology) schedule, see this link.
The lineup for tomorrow’s Shark Tank talks are:
Louise Hecker, PhD | Medicine/Pulmonary
TOPIC: “Revolutionizing Therapeutics for Fibrotic Disease”
Michael Kuhns, PhD | Immunobiology
TOPIC: “Targeting pathogenic T cells with 5-module chimeric antigen receptors (5M-CAR)”
Marvin Slepian, MD | Medicine and Biomedical Engineering
TOPIC: “PlaKDx Technologies: Precision Point-of Care Platelet Function Technologies to Save Lives”
Eugene Chang, MD | Otolaryngology
TOPIC: “Practice makes perfect: incorporating mixed-reality in surgical simulation”
Nathaniel Hart, PhD | Surgery
TOPIC: “Rapid viability and potency assessment of encapsulated insulin-producing cells for transplant and treatment of diabetes”
Shark Tank Judges
The Shark Tank Competition is hosted by Jeffrey Goldberg, PhD, UA Interim Provost, dean of the College of Engineering, and professor in Systems and Industrial Engineering at the University of Arizona
The judges are:
- Humberto Lopez: a successful Tucson businessman, philanthropist and alumnus of the University of Arizona.
- Ginny Clements: a philanthropist and community leader in Tucson.
- Andrew Messing: President of Larson Camouflage, LLC, a company that designs concealment solutions for wireless antennas throughout the world. He also serves as president of the Steven M. Gootter Foundation, an organization dedicated to defeating sudden cardiac arrest.
- Randal Dull, MD, PhD: Professor and chair of the Department of Anesthesiology here at the College of Medicine – Tucson.
- Robert C. Robbins, MD: President, University of Arizona
- Michael Dake, MD: Senior Vice President, UA Health Sciences – this is a last minute addition to the program!
“Researchers to Compete in ‘Shark Tank,’ Demo Technology, More at Research Day, Feb. 13” | Posted Feb. 12, 2019
“Dr. Esther Sternberg to Deliver One of Three Keynotes at COM-T Research Day 2019” | Posted Jan. 29, 2019
“Register Now for UA College of Medicine – Tucson Research Retreat, Feb. 13” | Posted Dec. 19, 2018