Of 247 physicians to be included in the “Top Doctors” issue of Tucson Lifestyle magazine, over 100 have some affiliation with Banner – University Medicine, the primary clinical partner of the University of Arizona Health Sciences colleges.
That includes the UA College of Medicine – Tucson, UA College of Medicine – Phoenix, UA College of Pharmacy, UA College of Nursing and the UA Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health. Tucson Lifestyle's version of the list only focuses on Tucson area physicians.
Specifically, the local UA/Banner affiliated physicians from the list break down as follows:
- 104 physicians with Banner hospitals listed as primary, secondary or with a UA address
- 89 physicians with Banner hospital listed as primary
- 46 physicians with Banner hospital listed as secondary
- 15 physicians with UA listed as primary address
Twenty of the physicians were with the UA Department of Medicine. Below is how they’ll be listed in Tucson Lifestyle’s June issue, which will include the Top Doctors listings.
- Allergy & Immunology – Randy J. Horwitz, MD
- Cardiac Electrophysiology – Mathew Hutchinson, MD; Julia H. Indik, MD, PhD; and Peter Ott, MD
- Cardiovascular Disease – Mark J. Friedman, MD; Raj Janardhanan, MD; and Kapildeo Lotun, MD
- Dermatology – Gerald N. Goldberg, MD, and James E. Sligh, MD, PhD
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism – Craig S. Stump, MD, PhD (SAVAHCS), and Stephen P. Thomson, MD (SAVAHCS)*
- Geriatric Medicine – Paul Gee, MD
- Infectious Diseases – Elizabeth Connick, MD, and Stephen A. Klotz, MD
- Interventional Cardiology – Karl B. Kern, MD, and Kwan S. Lee, MD
- Pulmonary Disease – James Knepler, MD; Monica Kraft, MD; Tammy R. Ojo, MD; and Sairam Parthasarathy, MD
* Drs. Stump and Thomson are both also affiliated with the UA Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism and assist in training of fellows. Dr. Stump is the fellowship program director.
The “Top Doctors” list in Tucson Lifestyle magazine is compiled by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., which notes in this year’s introduction that, “Doctors do not and cannot pay to be selected and profiled as Castle Connolly Top Doctors.” It goes on to note that its physician-led team of researchers follows a rigorous selection methodology to select top doctors at a regional and national level. The online nomination process — go to www.castleconnolly.com/nominations — is open to all U.S. licensed physicians able to make nominations in any specialty and in any part of the country.
Congratulations to all our top doctors!
NOTE: The above list is different from the “Best Doctors in America,” a biennial list which is compiled by Teledoc and for which polling just finished in December. The 2019-20 Best Doctors list won’t be announced for another several months.
“Voting for 2019-20 ‘Best Doctors’ Poll Ends on Christmas Eve – Get Your Picks in Now!” | Posted Dec. 19, 2018
“UA/Banner ‘Top Doctors’ Listings in Tucson Lifestyle Down in 2018” | Posted Aug. 3, 2018
“Dozens of DOM Faculty Among 140 Banner Physicians to Earn ‘Best Doctor’ Recognition” | Posted Jan. 23, 2018
“DOM Physicians Make Up a Quarter of UA ‘Top Doctors’ in 2017” | Posted July 13, 2017
“‘Top Doctors’ List Preview for July Issue of Tucson Lifestyle includes 25 DOM Faculty” | Posted March 7, 2017
“Tucson Lifestyle ‘Features’ Janardhanan, Yeager among UA Top Doctors in 2016” | Posted June 29, 2016
“2015 Top Docs, AzCIM, SALSA Spotlighted Among AHSC Top News Items of the Week” | Posted: Sept. 4, 2015