The Academic Half Day (AHD) was started in July 2008 in response to resident feedback to improve the didactics in our program. Rather than Noon Conferences given by busy residents on inpatient ward services with limited faculty input, the AHD is designed to be a concentrated block of protected academic time that occurs each Thursday from 1-4 p.m. at the University of Arizona/Banner – University Medical Center Tucson (BUMCT).
The presenters are faculty members, offering didactic as well as interactive case-based sessions on topics within the medicine subspecialties as well as interdisciplinary topics important for the training of a well-rounded internal medicine resident. Residents are constantly challenged to apply this material not only in clinical duties, but also during the interactive case- and question-based sessions following the lectures. Residents learn how to apply evidence-based medicine principles through the weekly Journal Clubs led by Chief Residents that are included in the Half Day. In addition to the high quality delivery of didactics, an added bonus is the camaraderie that has become a natural byproduct of these afternoons.As a participant in the Academic Half Day, you will not only come away with thorough exposure to the subspecialties and a head start toward board preparation, but you will also mingle with your colleagues on a weekly basis, encouraging better work relationships and friendships outside of the hospital. Below are links to many of the faculty lectures given thus far this academic year. We have a rotating 18-month curriculum schedule.
Academic Half Day Webcasts
You’ll find recent examples of the AHD webcasts* listed below:
* If viewing on a desktop computer and depending on your Internet browser, you may need to “allow” Flash player access to your system to enable viewing of these webcasts. To do this in Google Chrome, right click on the lock icon next to the web address (URL) bar in your browser, drop down to “Flash” and, in the box to the right, change “Ask (default) ▼” to “Allow.” Please contact the program manager or senior coordinator for the password to view.
- “Neurology - Topics in Medicine” – Dr. Benjamin Ferguson, Epilepsy Fellow, UA Department of Neurology | June 13, 2019
- “Inflammatory Bowel Disease” – Dr. Sasha Taleban | June 13, 2019
- “Residents as Teachers” – Drs. Anthony Witten, Gilbert Ortega, Robert Kim and Juan Siordia | May 16, 2019
- “H. Pylori and PUD” – Dr. Juanita Merchant, GI Chief | Feb. 21, 2019
- “Transgender Medicine” – Dr. Jennifer Flynn, SAVAHCS | Feb. 21, 2019
- “QI Initiative” – Dr. J.R. Moseley | Feb. 21, 2019
- “Introduction of the Department of Medicine” and “Medical Student Changes” – Dr. Monica Kraft, Department Chair, and Susan Ellis, Education Specialist | Feb. 14, 2019
- “P:V Relationship in HF: Inotropes and More” – Dr. Elizabeth Juneman | Feb. 14, 2019
- “DAPT, GI Bleeds” – Dr. David Kim, GI Fellow | Feb. 14, 2019
- “Pulmonology/Crit Care, Pt. 1” – Dr. Laura Meinke, Program Director | Dec. 13, 2018
- “Pulmonology/Crit Care, Pt. 2” – Dr. Laura Meinke | Dec. 13, 2018
- “HIV Emergencies” – Dr. Lori Fantry | Nov. 1, 2018
- “How to Manage Difficult Patients/MDCC” – Drs. JP Ferreira, Tejo Vemulapalli, Inpatient Medicine Chief | Nov. 1, 2018
Video feed for all Academic Half Day events can be found here:
Medicine Grand Rounds
Grand Rounds, except for a summer hiatus between mid-June and mid-August, are held weekly from noon-1 p.m. on Wednesdays. They are viewable live from main campus or streamed via webcast at other sites.*
Department of Medicine (DOM) Grand Rounds for Banner – University Medical Center Tucson
Location: UA College of Medicine, 1501 N. Campbell Ave., Fifth Floor
(Wednesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 p.m., UAHS Room 5403)
Other archived DOM events can be found at this link (no password needed to view).
* Streamed live at Banner – UMC South (Conf. Rm. 3030), Banner – University Medicine North, BUMG North Hills Clinic, SAVAHCS and TMC. For the schedule on the web, visit the DOM Events webpage or the UArizona Health Sciences Webcast homepage (scroll to the date — mid-August to mid-June).
VA Management Conference
The VA Management Conference is held at the Southern Arizona VA Health Care System
Location: Tucson VA Medical Center, 3601 S. 6th Ave., Tucson, AZ 85723 — directions.
(Twice monthly: 2nd and 4th Tuesdays, Noon - 1:00 p.m. - Patio Conference Room)